Greening Urban offers a wide range of civil engineering services to help developers, architects, land planners, engineers, landscape architects, municipalities, and integrate sustainability into development projects. We provide our services and expertise to both public and private sector groups and to educational institutions. We also offer customized training and consulting services. Our services and expertise include the following sustainability topics:
- Sustainable Civil Engineering
- Low Impact Development (LID) Stormwater Management
- Water Reuse Strategies
- Green Infrastructure
- Environmental Land Planning and Urban Design
- Customized Training
- Budgeting Sustainability Consulting Strategies
- Green Roofs
- LEED-ND (Neighborhood Development) Consultation
Public Sector Agencies
Municipalities face ever-increasing pressures to include sustainable design, effective stormwater management, and other green elements in their master plans, zoning regulations, and building codes. Greening Urban can provide valuable insight, guidance, and technical support to safely and effectively transition municipalities through these sometimes daunting processes.
Our services include:
- Technical consultation and review of master plans relating to implementing low impact development (LID), stormwater management, green infrastructure elements, road design standards, innovative sewage treatment, and alternative energy options to name a few
- Development of integrated green infrastructure guidelines and technical support from a menu that includes LID, stormwater management, onsite energy generation, constructed wetlands with onsite sewage treatment processes, and road design guidelines as examples
- Drafting of LID/stormwater management regulations
- Integration of green building and/or LEED-ND concepts into regulations and planning codes
- Technical support for incorporating Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPED) into zoning regulations and building codes
Integration of green infrastructure and green building technologies into affordable housing standards
Private Sector Organizations
In commercial development, successful implementation of sustainable practices depends on a combination of regulatory expertise, technical understanding, and interdisciplinary experience. At Greening Urban, our skills and experience enable us to help clients in the commercial development industry — including owners and developers, architecture firms, landscape architects, land planners, and all related stakeholders — develop and implement successful sustainability projects.
Our work in the private sector has drawn on our wide range of expertise, including stormwater management, green roofs and green infrastructure, sustainable civil engineering, budgeting sustainable strategies, LEED-ND consultation, and onsite energy and waste reduction technologies. Examples of onsite energy and waste reduction technologies that we specialize in to support our clients’ overarching goals include cogeneration facilities, district heating and cooling, and constructed wetlands for sewage treatment.
Greening Urban assists institutions in incorporating the sustainable design technologies which are most appropriate to their needs. Our expertise in sustainable master planning and green cost analysis fits perfectly with the needs of educational institutions that own and are responsible for the maintenance of all their facilities. In addition, we offer guidance in how the institution’s sustainable features can be woven into curriculum and research programs for their students.
- Customized Training and Presentations – Greening Urban provides fully customized trainings to clients in both the private and public sectors. Depending on your staff’s needs, we can train you on current and proposed stormwater management regulations, traditional and innovative stormwater management technologies, green infrastructure development, and LEED-ND certification. We also offer presentations on sustainable design issues for planners, architects, engineers, and developers at conferences, seminars, and other venues.
- Consultation – Greening Urban offers expert analysis and recommendations on a wide variety of sustainability issues, including Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design for Neighborhood Development (LEED-ND) certification, stormwater management, and related topics. LEED-ND can be applied from neighborhood-scale projects to certain mixed-use single buildings. The U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED certification is widely embraced as a goal for forward-looking developers, architects, engineers, and municipalities, and now LEED-ND designation is attracting similar levels of interest. Greening Urban was heavily involved in the pilot program of LEED-ND and as a result, can provide valuable insights and strategies for clients seeking LEED-ND certification.
- Support and Guidance on Regulatory Matters – Greening Urban provides strategic and technical assistance with zoning and permitting issues related to sustainable site criteria and sustainable design solutions.
- Greening Strategies – Greening Urban offers guidance for A/E firms, planners, and municipalities in maximizing the benefits of going green (e.g., increased appeal to the public, recruiting, and other areas of impact).